Tungsram located in Hungary is known for their light bulbs and electronics. Established in Újpest (today part of Budapest, Hungary) in 1896, it initially produced telephones, wires and switchboards.
The name « Tungsram » is a mix of « tungsten » and « wolfram »(the two common names of the metal used for making light bulb filaments).
On 13 December 1904, Hungarian Sándor Just and Croatian Franjo Hanaman were granted Hungarian patent no. 34541 for the world’s first tungsten filament bulb that lasted longer and produced brighter light than a carbon filament.
The co-inventors licensed their patent to the company, which came to be named Tungsram after the eponymous tungsten incandescent bulbs, which are still called Tungsram bulbs in many European countries.
In 1990, General Electric acquired a majority stake in Tungsram and over six years invested $600 million in the venture, thoroughly restructuring every aspect of its operations.
To date, this has been the largest manufacturing investment by a U.S. firm in Central and Eastern Europe. Tungsram is today a subsidiary of General Electric and the name is merely retained as a brand.
As of February 2018, the CEO of GE Hungary, Jörg Bauer agreed to buy GE’s lighting business in Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Turkey, as well as its global automotive lighting business.
The business continues to operate again under the name Tungsram Group.